Thursday, December 1, 2011

Free time = research. Time for a new CT line!

It's been a busy few days, and I haven't had much time to research or blog - until now. Of course when I have downtime, my favorite place to head is my most recent ancestor on one of my Connecticut lines. These days, that means starting in the late 18th century.

This is both a blessing and a curse. By now, I have a pretty good research plan down in my head. It involves a search of the online version of the Barbour Collection, Connecticut's pre-1870 vital records index and any available family trees. This usually gives me an outline for where to go next - at least the names of her parents. Of course, once in a while you hit a case like the line I'm working on now. I'm starting with a female, which means I can more or less forget finding her in a family tree. ( I did look just in case). Her gravestone is under her husband's name, although she's in a cemetery bearing her family name. Barbour Collection turns up empty. And since this is the 18th century, there's no lovely census to bail me out. It's time to hit the church records (online just in case, and then in person)... which will have to wait until I have time. A little frustrating when I want to have my "I found it" moment now.

How do you handle 18th century records searches?

No comments:

Post a Comment