Friday, December 23, 2011

It's time to start the holidays...

As I get further into the holiday weekend, I'm starting to wonder about family traditions. I love hearing stories of special family traditions or ethnic heritage. Unfortunately, several sides of my family seem to have completely Americanized. They told of the traditional Christmas trees, holiday meal, and Christmas service. One side passed down great stories of Black Peter (it's Germanic, for those of you unfamiliar) and lighting the tree Christmas eve. Besides these little mentions, I'm left to guess what my ancestor's family Christmas celebrations must have been like.

I really wish I could find a way to fill in the blanks. It's easier said then done - a few holiday photos provide most of the details. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. So I'm throwing out the question: how do you discover your ancestors' past? Do you have great holiday stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment