Friday, February 3, 2012

Follow Friday: In Search of Our Ancestors

   I recently stumbled across the companion book for a PBS series I have to admit I never saw, entitled In Search of Our Ancestors: 101 Inspiring Stories of Serendipity and Connection in Rediscovering Our Family History. Megan Smolenyak did a fantastic job of editing the collection of short stories. The end result is a cute review of everything we love about genealogy from forgotten cousins to generous genealogists.
   My favorite parts of the collection were the stories about the family item rediscovered through happenstance or kindness. The tales are worth reading, because they remind of us why we do this: that special moment when you can see what your great-grandmother looked like as a child. They also set me to wondering what I would most like to reclaim. Thanks to some cousins, I already have scans of family photos... but I sure would love those family bibles!

No comments:

Post a Comment