Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sentimental Sunday: Photos in the Hartford Courant

   I don't have many photos of my Connecticut lines. Most of these lines predated the time when photos were accessible to everyone. Even those that could have accessed photos didn't take many. I suspect the time involved in visiting a photo studio may have been one cause, the money another. Whatever the reason, photos are few and far between.
   That makes the work of The Hartford Courant more special to me. In the first part of the twentieth century, local photography studios took pictures of the area's notables. The Courant included those photos in the paper, with captions describing their importance. The Courant has now been digitized and is easily searchable. One ancestor, a state representative, was regularly captured in these photos. Thanks to The Courant, I can at least trace what he looked like!

No comments:

Post a Comment