Saturday, February 18, 2012

Surname Saturday: Ely of East Haddam and Lyme

   I've grown up knowing that the Ely family had deep roots in the Lyme and East Haddam area. If you've been in the area long enough, you've no doubt heard of Ely's Ferry. I knew from family lore that my Ely ancestor was actually from East Haddam. But sorting out the lines is proving to be another story.
   I've gotten as far back as John Griswold Ely, born Lyme in 1810. After that, I'm entirely dependent on published histories of the family. According to the History of Waterbury and the Naugatuck Valley, Connecticut, Volume 3,  John descends from John Ely and Lucy Miller... and then back to the James Ely of the Revolutionary War. Next stop, finding the paperwork to prove it. John Griswold isn't in the Barbour Collection. Does anyone know where the records of the Lyme Congregational Church are?

No comments:

Post a Comment