Saturday, February 11, 2012

Surname Saturday: Martin of East Haddam

   I'm playing - yet again - with one of my East Haddam families. I started out interested in the Ely family. For my family, they were the stuff of legend. Shipbuilders in farming community, their descendents saw them as romantic figures. I grew up hearing all about my g-g-?-grandfather, the steamboat captain. Of course, one line leads into another. An Ely married a Martin, so here I am.
   The first few generations were fairly straightforward. That Martin's parents were easily identifiable as Rachel Mack and Samuel Martin. While many of their children died in infancy, I'm certain I've identified all that survived to adulthood - Ellen and Hezekiah. I've also tracked Rachel's  parents without issue (if your family has been in CT long enough, the DAR can fill in a lot of blanks!).
   It's Samuel's parents, Jonathan and Hannah, that pose the problem. I have found a few of his siblings: Jonathan and Joseph.  I suspect from what I'm reading that Jonathan and Hannah arrived from England sometime before the American Revolution and had more children then I'm finding. I can eventually check the family against local records, but I'm curious to find out if anyone is working on this family. Does anyone know Jonathan's family?


No comments:

Post a Comment