Saturday, March 24, 2012

Surname Saturday: Graves or Greaves of East Haddam, Middlesex, CT

   As you probably have already figured out... I'm on the hunt for a new family line! My ancestor Molly (Graves) Stark was originally from an East Haddam family. Thus far, I've gotten the line back to her father, Benjamin Graves. I, of course, then got stuck on finding his gravestone. I'm still searching. In the process, I also turned up his father's name - Benjamin. The first Benjamin baptized his children in the East Haddam Congregational Church in 1734. Until today, I hadn't been able to trace him any further.
  Once again, it turned out to be a matter of spelling. While I - and the church records - used Graves, Benjamin Sr.'s gravestone records him as Greaves. Hand-searching an online transcription of the Hale Collection, a W.P.A. project to index gravestones in Connecticut cemeteries, turned up Benjamin Sr.'s alternate name. From there, I was able to find a the stone on Find A Grave. At least now I have a probable birth year of 1699.
   Now if I could just find Benjamin, Jr's grave. Ideas, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment