Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Workday Wednesday: Irish Occupations

   I've traveled the path of Irish immigration many times recently. While my own ancestors fell outside the mold, I've learned a lot about those who did not. Most immigrated around the time of the potato famine, determined to start a new life. Most lived in cities. What I didn't know much about was what they did when they arrived here.
   An article on Connecticut's Heritage Gateway helps fill in the gaps in my knowledge. Apparently most Irish was factory, construction or textile workers. They staffed mills throughout the state.  In Portland, they worked in the quarries. While this information gives me an outline, I wish I knew more about the individual stories.
   Where did your ancestors work? 

No comments:

Post a Comment