Thursday, August 9, 2012

Those Places Thursday: So Fine A Prospect

    Well, we already knew I loved needlepoint - so it's time to introduce my next love, gardening. Connecticut has some wonderful "modern" gardens. If you haven't heard of White Flower Farms or Comstock-Ferre, you should check them out. It also has some wonderful historic gardens. Garden histories are less publicized than histories of homes and people. As I result, I read anything I can get my hands on to find out more!
   I stumbled across So Fine A Prospect: Historic New England Gardens while reading an article about the Daniel Chester French property in Massachusetts. It wasn't until I finished reading that I discovered the article was  a reprint of a chapter of the book. It was so engaging that I hunted down a copy of the book.
   Alan Emmet's text is an overview of garden styles and properties in New England. Each chapter covers the history of a property, sometimes from its origin to decline. Images depict the property at plan, full bloom, and decay. Chapters include New England property as far north as northern Vermont and two in Connecticut.
   The two Connecticut properties were Henry Bowen's Roseland Cottage, which we've already discussed, and the Harkness Estate of Eolia. Each chapter traces their origins and planning stages through fruition. They include references to the family that developed the property, the gardeners and more. If you're related to someone who lived at or worked on each property, these chapters are a must-read. And maybe, like me, you'll full in love with Eolia all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment